Thursday, February 26, 2009

Obedience is the Mark of a True Disciple

Christ’s analogy of the vine and the branches in John chapter fifteen helps us understand who is a true disciple and who is not. I believe the withered branches which are burned are false disciples such as Judas Iscariot who commit apostasy. I hold this interpretation mainly because of the statement, “You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you” (v. 3). The other eleven disciples, to whom Christ was speaking, were “clean” because of the commandment He had spoken to them previously in the thirteenth chapter.

“Jesus said to him, ‘He who is bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you.’ For He knew who would betray Him; therefore He said, ‘You are not all clean’” (John 13:10, 11). Judas was not “clean” because he was not a true disciple. Christ then spoke this word or commandment after Judas departed to betray Him, “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another” (John 13:34, 35). True disciples keep the commandment of love. This is the word that Christ spoke to the remaining disciples who were “clean.”

Are we “clean?” Are we true disciples of Jesus Christ? Do we really love Him like we say we do? The proof our love is whether or not we keep His commandments: “He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me” (John 14:21), “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word” (v. 23), “He who does not love Me does not keep My words” (v. 24).

“Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, ‘If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed’” (John 8:31). Again, Christ stated that true disciples abide by His word; they obey Him. “‘Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.’ Amen.”

The test of true discipleship is in the keeping of His commandments. “Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He who says, ‘I know Him,’ and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him” (1 John 2:3, 4).

1 comment:

  1. I have read this and I agree with you! It is so important that we obey Him and His word for all of us

    ReplyDelete